Week 3 Course Material
- Lecture 5 digital presentation (pptx)
- Lecture 6 digital presentation (pptx)
- Activity 2: Earthquake Location (1 MB pdf)
- Activity 2: Reading Material (0.5 MB pdf)
- Activity 3: Earthquake Magnitude (26 kb pdf)
- Here is a map that shows the shakemap scenario from the USGS for a Cascadia subduction zone earthquake given a magnitude of M 9.0. Here is the kmz file that works in Google Earth. The upper map is for the entire CSZ and the lower map is for northern California. The USGS has two scenarios for the CSZ. The expanded peak scenario and the expanded scenario. The upper map is from the expanded scenario and the lower panel is from the expanded peak scenario.
- Here is the USGS Shakemap manual. (4 MB pdf)
- Here is more background information about USGS ShakeMap.
- Mudflow in southern California. This is a mudflow following a fire (the 2016 Fish Fire) in Las Lomas Canyon. Here is a link to the file embedded below. (26 MB mp4)
- There was a flood in Arequipa, Peru that led to some destruction of cars and a hotel. Unfortunately some people died in the mudflow. This first video is of the mudflow that hit a road. Here is the link to the embedded file below. (30 MB mp4)
- This second video is from along the riverbank where something happened to a hotel. Here is the link to the embedded file below. (8 MB mp4)
- The Kīlauea volcano has been erupting for some time. There have been a few observations recently that are quite spectacular. More can be found here (scroll down to 1/29/17). Below are two videos. This first video shows the region from a broad view. Here is the link to the embedded file below. (36 MB mp4)
- This video shows a close up view of the lava flow. Here is the link to the embedded file below. ( MB mp4)
Geological Society of America Timescale (click on image to download pdf file).