Activity 5: Earthquake Shaking and Damage
- use the measurements of earthquake hazard, shaking, and intensity to evaluate potential damage from earthquakes;
- learn the specific, quantitative measurement of earthquake hazard for their residence location;
- relate ground accelerations to Mercalli intensities;
- relate Mercalli intensities to damage in structures of varying construction;
- synthesize the above information to analyze earthquake hazard for their home in written format with correct citations.
After completing this exercise, students will be able to:
- Activity 1: Earthquake Shaking and Damage (<1 MB pdf)
- USGS, 2008, Probabilistic Hazard Lookup by Map Interface.
- ABAG (Association of Bay Area Governments), 2003, Impacts of California Earthquakes on Buildings from Shaken Awake
- Bolt, Bruce, 1993, Abridged Modified Mercalli Intensity Scale
- Map of east Long Beach 10% probability in 50 years.
Web resources are used in this activity:
Geological Society of America Timescale (click on image to download pdf file).