Geology 106: Earthquake Country
Lecture: CRN 43928 Section 2 TR 15:00 – 16:20 Founders Hall 118
- Instructor: Dr. Jason Robert Patton
- Email: Jason.Patton at humboldt.edu
- Office: Founders Hall 136
- Phone: 707.826.3923
- Office Hours: Tuesday 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Course Syllabus: pdf file
- Step by Step instructions to register your clicker or APP for this class, GEOL 106.
- Clicker help for students
- Responseware clicker app
- Week 1: Introduction to Natural Hazards, Scientific Method, Energy, Origin of the Earth, Earth’s Structure
- Week 2: Introduction to Plate Tectonics and Plate Motions
- Week 3: Plate Motions, Seismology, Magnitude, and Intensity
- Week 4: Seismology, Magnitude, Intensity, Fault Types, and Plate Boundaries
- Week 5: Geophysical and Geological Evidence for Great Earthquakes
- Week 6: Mid Term I and Online Activity 1
- Week 7: Review Mid Term I and Online Activity 1, Crustal Earthquakes Earthquakes
- Week 8: Earthquake Damage
- Week 9: Tsunami
- Week 10: Earthquake Statistics and Recurrence
- Week 11: Research Paper and Video Assignments
- Week 12: Mid Term II and Online Activity 2, Plate Tectonic Rate Analysis
- Week 13: Volcanoes and Mendocino triple junction
- Fall Break
- Week 14: Floods
- Week 15: Floods (cont.) and Class Videos
- Activity 1: Scientific Method (0. 1MB pdf)
- Activity 2: Earthquake Location (1 MB pdf)
- Activity 3: Earthquake Magnitude (0.1 MB pdf)
- Activity 4: Fault Type (0.1 MB pdf)
- Activity 5: Earthquake Shaking and Damage
- Activity 6 A: Tsunami Observations (1 MB pdf)
- Activity 6 B: Tsunami Calculations (1 MB pdf)
- Activity 7: Earthquake Recurrence (0.1 MB pdf)
- Activity 8: Hydrology (0.4 MB pdf)
- Activity 1: GPS Geodesy (1 MB pdf). Also, see week 6 for the video that accompanies this assignment.
- Activity 2: Plate Tectonic Rates (website)
- Here is research paper writing guide and example paper.
- Here is the rubric that will be used to evaluate all reports and research papers.
Research Paper Guide
- Living on Shaky Ground How to survive earthquakes and tsunamis in northern California (website) (pdf pamphlet)
- Here is a page where I present some gender neutral pronouns that I use in my classes.
Gender Neutral Pronouns
Geological Society of America Timescale (click on image to download pdf file).