These are the resources for our field trip to Mt. St Helens and Columbia River Gorge.
April 19, 2015, 7:45 AM through 8 PM
Here are some photos from our field trip: Photo Album Spring 2015
Here is a movie trailer from Thomas:
- Guidebook, Road Log, and Assignment
- Roadside Geology Mt. St. Helens (Pringle, 2002)
- Roadside Geology Mt. St. Helens (Doukas, 1990)
- Debris Avalanche Analysis (Gliken, 1996)
- Possible Uses of Mt. St. Helens Ash (Moen and McLucan, 1981)
- Sequence of Eruption (Rigby and Korosec, 1980)
- A 30 year legacy after the 1980 Mt. St. Helens eruption (Vallance et al., 2010)
- USGS video #1 (short documentary)
- USGS video #2 (short documentary)
- Time Lapse Dome Growth 2004-2008
- Crater Glacier Movement (time lapse)
- 2004 Eruption
- Seismology at Mt. St. Helens today
- Extra Resources:
- Cascades Volcano Observatory: Columbia River Basalts
- Oregon State University: Columbia River Basalts
- Idaho State University: Columbia River Basalts
- Central Washington University: Tom Foster: Basalt
- Pacific Northwest Seismic Network
- National Volcano Early Warning System
- US Army Corps of Engineers Monitoring
- Penn State Virtual Field Trip
- USGS publications for Mt St. Helens
- USGS Pre-1980 Eruptive History Mt St. Helens
- USGS Volcanoes Fact Sheets
- USGS 1980 Eruption
- USGS Volcanic Hazards Assessments
- Washington Dept. Natural Resources Documentation
- USGS Pre-1980 Eruption Tephra Deposits
Columbia River Basalts
Mt. St. Helens
- Doukas, M. P., 1990. Road guide to volcanic deposits of Mount St. Helens and vicinity, Washington: U.S. Geological Survey, Open File Report 1859, 64 p.
- Glicken, Harry, 1986, Rockslide-debris avalanche of May 18, 1980, Mount St. Helens Volcano: Santa Barbara, University of California, Ph.D. thesis, 303 p.
- Meyer, D.F., 1986 a, Channel formation and modification under various water and sediment discharges, South Fork Coldwater Creek, Washington, in Iverson, R.M., and Martinson, H.A., eds., Mount St. Helens; American Geomorphological Field Group, Field Trip Guidebook and Abstracts, 178 p.
- Meyer, D.F., 1986 b, Surficial processes and deposits at the Coldwater Drainage, in Iverson, R.M. and Martinson, H.A., eds., Mount St. Helens: American Geomorphological Field Group field trip guidebook and abstracts, 178 p.
- Pringle, P.T., 2002. Roadside Geology of Mount Saint Helens National Volcanic Monument and Vicinity: Washington Department of Natural Resources, Division of Geology and Earth Resources Information Circular 88, 1993 (Revised Edition 2002).
- Voight, Barry, Glicken, Harry, Janda, R.J., and Douglass, P.M., 1981, Catastrophic rockslide avalanche of May 18, in Lipman, P.W., and Mullineaux, D.R., eds., The 1980 eruptions of Mount St. Helens, Washington: U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 1250, p. 347-377.